MEMORIAL TOLLING. LA CAMPANA DELLA PACE (the Bell of Peace)
Maria Dolens, the world's largest pealing bell, tolls 100 times every evening at 9:30 p.m. echoing through the streets, woods and along the slopes of the Vallagarina. Its chimes arise from Colle di Miravalle (Rovereto) to carry a message of Life and Peace to humankind. The bell was cast in 1924 from the fusion of bronze of cannons from the 19 countries that participated in World War I and is dedicated to the memory of fallen soldiers from all over the world. It weighs over 226 quintals and is 3.36 metres tall. The bell appears at the end of a long avenue lined with the flags of the 84 nations that have accepted the solemn commitment of acknowledging and honouring its invitation for eternal harmony among all peoples and cultures.
Tel. +39 0464 434412 - www.fondazioneoperacampana.it
MART. THE TEMPLE OF MODERN AND CONTEMPORARY ART
MART is considered an example of excellence for both its cultural offer as well as for its efficient organization. Since 2002, the year of its inauguration in Rovereto, this museum has constantly increased its visibility and is now known the world over thanks to top-level proposals which have made it one of Italy's principal reference points in the sphere of modern and contemporary art. The museum periodically offers theme exhibitions of great interest that are the results of important research and collaboration. There is a permanent exhibition hosted on the second floor: a collection of works from the Futuristic movement until today, with particular focus upon masterpieces by Depero. In fact, MART hosts the most important collection of this artist's works.
Tel. Toll-free number 800 397760 - www.mart.trento.it
THE CULT OF THE MADONNA AT THE SANTUARIO DI MONTALBANO
This sanctuary was built in 1556 at the foot of the castle ruins of Montalbano by the faithful from the Mori community as a sign of devotion to the Blessed Virgin of the Annunciation. The picturesque pointed bell tower is decorated by a majestic clock that measures 4 metres in diameter and is visible from afar along the path leading visitors towards the Sanctuary as they retrace the steps of pilgrims who - over the centuries - have come to pray for the Madonna's mercy and intercession.
Tel. +39 0464 918527 - www.visitrovereto.it
CHIESA DI SANTA MARIA ASSUNTA. A JEWEL FROM THE BAROQUE ERA
The Church of Santa Maria Assunta in Villa Lagarina is an example of intelligent and refined patronage and celebrates the economic and political power of aristocratic Lodron family in all its splendour. The Counts had commissioned the transformation of the church in the 16th century, turning it into an absolute jewel of local Baroque architecture. The main altar is of great importance, as are the fresco paintings and other paintings including oil on copper created by artists of the utmost talent.
Tel. +39 0464 490374 - www.visitrovereto.it